WORD OF THE WEEK
The crystal was safe in its protective casing.
1. secure, out of danger, safe and sound, out of harm’s way; unharmed, unhurt, undamaged, unscathed, unscratched, unbroken, intact.
The streets aren’t safe at night.
2. secure, protecting, protected, guarded, defended, invulnerable, unexposed.
Five thousand dollars is a safe estimate.
3. cautious, prudent, circumspect, conservative, modest, discreet, noncommittal, wary; sure, certain, realistic.
The taxi company wants to hire a safe driver.
The train is a safe means of transport.
4. not dangerous, dependable, reliable, trustworthy, to be trusted; sure, steady, firm, stable, sound, harmless, innocuous.
Put your valuables in the safe.
5. locked box, storage box, safe-deposit box; vault.
antonyms: 1. harmed, damaged; imperilled; jeopardized, at risk. 2. unsafe, dangerous, risky, hazardous, perilous. 3. wild, risky, extravagant; impetuous; speculative. 4. unsafe, undependable, unreliable; harmful, dangerous, risky, pathogenic, lethal, toxic.
SOURCE: 2006. Reader’s Digest Family Word Finder: a family guide to English words, their meanings, synonyms and antonyms. London: Reader’s Digest Association. CALL NO.> R 423 F21 2006 / HS LRC Reference Section
Is the word on the tip of your tongue? Find out its meaning in a dictionary > click here.